A comprehensive list of services
Bad things happen to well-meaning websites
Nobody wants to be the harbinger of online gloom and doom, but you’re probably here because you’ve had some experience with the following . . .
- Hacking renders a site useless.
- Site bloat (too many plugs) will slow down your site (bad for SEO) .
- Google penalises sites using black-hat SEO techniques
- They may use your site for phishing
- (fraudulent attempts to get sensitive information without your knowledge).
- Your site appears on a reputable virus blacklist because of malware.
- or a browser issues a warning to go no further.
- Incomplete updates will interrupt the smooth running of any website.
- Black-hat SEO (cheap and unfair SEO techniques) will negatively affect your ranking.
- Multiple drafts of posts or duplicate files will affect site speed and SEO rank.
All the above will adversely affect your website ranking and the overall health of your website. If left unchecked, a site will suddenly stop working. In worst-case scenarios, sites need to be salvaged and re-built from the ground up. Most web developers will baulk at that idea. Not us.
Website Maintenance Services
45+ update, security & technical updates not included with a regular hosting package
Websites need more than hosting. Website maintenance means keeping software up to date – but that’s just a small part. It’s not something you can automate – or run easily with an offsite management plugin. Only a human can scrutinise your website properly.
If you have a custom-built website, and you’re happy with your developer, we can work closely with them to keep your site in top condition. That means it will always be up to date (rarely more than a month old) and operating smoothly all year round.
Geoffrey website maintenance plans cover you for the following issues;
(1st to 3rd Month)
- Fix any issue arising from past misadventure / website upkeep.
- Obscure login pages to prevent hacker attacks (usually done month #2)
- Test for malware.
- Clean site if bugs are found (the #1 reason why sites “break”)
- Check site health and remove site from blacklists (e.g. Google, Norton etc.)
- Check site for Black Hat SEO (anything that ignores Google’s SEO guidelines)
- Add Nofollow to links that don’t help your ranking .
- Add code which tells Google to re-index your page after an update (great for SEO).
- Monitor Google Search Console for inconsistencies, health, mobile & SEO issues (upon request)
- Monitor Google Analytics to check/identify patterns in your traffic (upon request)
- Remove dead links (Googlebot may stop indexing a site if it discovers a dead link)
- Check forms are working properly.
- Add form security (partially to prevent bots injecting malware into your Db)
- On-site back-up of form data. Never lose a lead because of unreliable email
- Custom PHP functions/libraries updated (upon request)
- Communicate with your hosting people (if not hosted with us).
- Delete or update old plugins and themes (leaving one in reserve)
- Delete old posts and page drafts (checking with you first)
- Remove unused media (upon request)
- Remove unused categories & tags
- Hide / replace unused short codes (if you use those)
- Clean up database (speeds up site a little)
- Remove comment spam (secret two-pronged approach)
- Walk you through any aspect of your site over the phone. Including fix stuff we didn’t do.
Regular Check-ins & Updates
(throughout the year)
Usually website updates and security tweaks are performed monthly but sometimes weekly
- Update 3rd party software updates (plugins, extensions, software).
- Respond and fix issues discovered by Google Search Console (good SEO).
- Black Hat SEO checking (due to client misadventure/bad “SEO tweaking”).
- Redirect old pages to new ones (preserve link juice, site authority).
- Prevention of Denial of Service attacks (DoS attacks) where possible.
- Prevent hacking and comment spam.
- Embolden site access and deal with lock-outs (e.g. creating new logins)
- Monthly site clean & anti-virus protection
- Database tables normalised
- Monitor User Activity (upon request)
- Answer email queries (within 48hrs)
- Answer phone calls (8am – 6pm EST)
- Check and redirect broken links.
- Fix menu issues when adding new pages
- Resolve site crashes
- Automatic website backups
- Manual website text content XML backups (upon request)
- Remove, block or watch suspicious/mis-behaving files.
- Block countries from login (or entire site).
- Communicate with your server techs (on-going)
- Walk you through any aspect of your site over the phone.
Updates that take less than 12 minutes are FREE
I’m a coder, so while I’m in there, you might need a tweak. Any update to your site while you are on a maintenance plan – and it only takes 12 minutes it’s 100% free.
The following only takes a few minutes:
- removing two old images
- uploading and optimising a new image
- removing old staff bios
- adding a news post
Google rolls out new SEO rules frequently (in the past it has done so daily) – so you need to be tweaking those consistently. Requirements for SSL, mobile-friendly websites or de-indexing because of keyword-stuffing (paid-for or accidnetal) are highlights of the last 5 years.
Hire a professional webmaster to maintain your website and sleep peacefully for only $549pa.
No cowboys. No lock-in contracts. Zero automation.
No automation. Updates are done using old-fashioned eyes and hands.